Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Balls on Thatcher

Ed Balls blathered on Radio 5's drive-time show last night. You can hear it here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mk8w8/5_live_Drive_11_09_2012/

This is the transcript (testing my audio typing skills) of the closing part of the interview, at around 45 minutes. This deals with the "dancing on Thatcher's grave" t-shirts which are doing very well thank you very much amongst Trade Union Conference stalls and websites.

Is this Ed Balls condoning the t-shirts until being backed into a corner?
In this transcript I've used (-) to indicate a significant pause, and italics to indicate any significant stress.

Approx 43:00
Ed Balls (EB):... George Osborne is preventing this Government doing anything to kick-start our recovery, to get growth moving. That is why this year, as I said at Treasury Questions, Government borrowing is up this year compared to last year...
Peter Allen (PA): Yes....That's...
EB: ...and his plan's failed....
PA: I mean....you're.....you're talking about boosting public spending which is what got us into trouble in the first place. I mean...demand is something rather different isn't it?
EB: Well....Peter....Peter...
PA: It can come from all sorts of things?
EB: We are talking about a cut in VAT, temporarily for a year. Bring forward infrastructure and investment because unless you get the economy growing and creating jobs you don't get people paying tax, people are on benefits and borrowing goes up. Now for two years you and I have debated this and I have been saying for two years if they choke off recovery the borrowing will get worse. And it's up by a quarter this year compared to last year. Because, in an economy, if nobody is spending and nobody is investing and we're in recession things get worse. So Vince Cable, I think, I said this on Sunday, in his heart of hearts, Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat  Business Secretary, knows the Conservative Party strategy for the economy is flawed  and failed. He's not allowed to say that.  And he won't go out and say that, (-) he's tinkering around the edges (-) with, as John Pienaar was saying, finding different ways to repackage inactivity and no action.  And it's not good enough, and we need a new change and I understand why the Trade Unions are very frustrated at the moment because their members are having such a hard....
PA: Okay....
EB: ...Such a hard time....But....What you can't do is deny that the next Labour Government will have some difficult decisions to make and I said that to the Congress in those terms today.
PA: Mmm. What would you say to somebody at Congress who wore one of these t-shirts saying "A Generation of Trade Unionists will dance on Thatcher's grave"?
EB: (-) Well...I...I actually said at the Congress today that nobody wants to go back to the hatred and division of the 1980s. Nobody wants to go back to the (-) lost days and strikes. Seven times more days lost in strikes in the 80s than under the Labour Government. Nobody wants to go back to the high unemployment and the terrible NHS waiting lists...
PA: ...I was talking about the t-shirts....
EB: ....
PA: Not...not the....
EB: I think the T-shirt.....Expresses a view of that division...
PA: Are you condoning it?
EB: ...which I reject entirely....Completely, completely.
PA: Completely.
EB: I don't want to go back to the division of the 1980s. Er...(-) I don't like that kind of politics.
PA: Yeah. So you would say to people "Don't wear that shirt"? Don't wear that t-shirt?
EB: (-). Yeah. I would say to people (-) do not wear that shirt.
PA: Thanks very much. That's Ed Balls....