Monday, November 07, 2011

Adventures in Groundhopping

The football website BornOffside is just over one year old and from Shamrock Rovers to the stadia blueprints in Qatar, it's been quite a journey. There's a lot of exciting things to come from the BornOffside lads in the coming months, so if you've not checked the site out yet, be sure to do so.

As I noted a few months ago now, this current football season is one where I'll be hopping around the lower and non-league grounds (...within affordable public transport reach, natch), and scribing about the experiences for BornOffside.

It's been two months already and I'm ticking off some great little games and cracking grounds, but much more than that, I'm enjoying people watching, comparing pies and noticing how all right-backs are frustrated centre midfielders who just want a CHANCE IN LIFE DAMMMIT.

By way of a catch-up, here's the run down of my adventures thus far. There's  more to come, hope you enjoy the ride as much as I do....


A day trip to Squires Gate, and then to Lancaster, covered in The First Weekends.

An early FA Cup qualifier saw Prescot Cables take on Warrington, all scribed up as Prescot Punch

Trying out plucky little Flixton against the "phoenix club" AFC Liverpool in Flawed Phoenix

Taking the 30-minute walk from my house down the road for Bamber Bridge in Bridge Too Far

Making my way to North Wales to take in the beautiful game from the vantage point of the Welsh First Division, which I hope was translated accurately as Y gêm hardd

Down the West Coast Main Line for the charms of Wigan, only without the threat of bumping into Gary Caldwell, which was all a bit all pastry, no filling


Last weekend I found myself on a park in Radcliffe for the lowest level of non-league football I have ever watched. It should be up on the site later this week, so check it out.